Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-12-2015 , 05:12 PM
Subscriber

Disney style eyes

Hello
I'm trying to create a different style character with large eyes (as per the image provided). You can clearly see that the eye is relatively flat but when animated, the pupil moves without distortion. I would like to ask if somebody knows the best method to create this style of eye? I'm thinking it involves a lattice to maintain the flatness but my tests have demonstrated that there is squashing of the pupil when the pupil looks too far downwards or upwards due to the lattice.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Attached Images
# 2 27-12-2015 , 06:56 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi, the guys at Pixar have many ways to model eyes, but I believe they still do it the 'anatomically correct' way for most humanoid characters. The eye is usually modelled as an eyeball with iris, pupil, cornea etc. The eyelid is modelled over the eye and the whole rig is set up so that the eyelid slides over the eye, just like a real human eye. They probably just modelled the eye slightly flatter for this character from Inside Out.

You can try this link below for some modelling / texturing assistance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY0yyGsGmzY

# 3 27-12-2015 , 08:00 PM
Subscriber
Halfloaf:

Thanks for the link. I'll be looking at it now.

# 4 27-12-2015 , 10:09 PM
Lifetime Member
If the eye is VERY flat they may have used another technique. What about 'sliding' the iris structure over the white bit of the eye? You could have the pupil dilate or contract while still ensuring the iris portion is free to move around?

Just a thought...