Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 27-08-2003 , 11:53 PM

Split polygon tool

Occasionally, this tool doesn't work. I have to click, reclick, hit enter, start over, rotate around the object and all of a sudden it will work.
Should I not use this in perspective mode? Also what do the percentages mean when using this tool?
Thanks,
Owen

Last edited by v8z; 27-08-2003 at 11:56 PM.
# 2 28-08-2003 , 12:01 AM
# 3 28-08-2003 , 09:09 AM
Split Polygon Tool, is not that bad. It has predictable result.

If sometimes you found out that the tool doesn't want to add another split, usually because it going from one edge to another edge is because of the topology, you are going from one face to another face that is not sharing the edge.

The percentage is measure percentage measure from the start point of an edge to your point along the edge you select. If you click on in the middle of a face, it will not show percentage but x y and z coordinate of the point.

Best regards,

# 4 28-08-2003 , 02:57 PM
Thanks to both of you. I thought I had it done but like I said, there are some instances in which I cannot lay the 2nd point down, even in the middle of a single face. I'll mess around with it more to see what's up.
Owen

# 5 28-08-2003 , 03:28 PM
there are some instances in which I cannot lay the 2nd point down, even in the middle of a single face.

Is there a chance that there could be either a second edge or face laying practically on top of the one you are wanting to choose, preventing it from sitting there? I've had this happen when I tried to stack 2 things together, didn't snap them in place, combined them, then went thru the headache of trying to find which edge matches with which face. tedious to the extreme, lemme tell ya! user added image

# 6 28-08-2003 , 03:31 PM
I don't think so. I just had a simple polygon like in the tutorial...
Owen

# 7 29-08-2003 , 04:20 AM
If you can't put the point in the middle of the face, probably you activate the snap to edge in the SplitPolygon Tool.

# 8 29-08-2003 , 03:35 PM
Yes, I thought of that yesterday and enabled, disabled, etc various settings. I had the same problem again, I could only add the second point on the same edge. This was a simple flat faced polygon.
I went around and clicked other areas and was able to do it in some places, then I went back to the original area and was able to do it - but, I was only able to do it in reverse. I had been trying to split left to right, but now I could do it right to left.
I'm probably gonna have to make a movie like those tutorials to show everyone!
Thanks,
Owen

# 9 30-08-2003 , 05:21 AM
have you check whether that edge in question is a border edge.

Use custom polygon display to show border edge.

If it is a border edge then you need to sew it.

Best regards,