Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 16 26-04-2013 , 09:05 AM
Lifetime Member
David & daverave!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm jumping all of excitement here.
I won't ask for your ma file now hahaha, I want to learn how to achieve this first.
So looking forward to finish work in an hour and spend the night doing this one. Damn... that last image looks sexy!

# 17 26-04-2013 , 09:06 AM
# 18 26-04-2013 , 09:38 AM
The thin red line
I didn't like the way that to meny were laying down if you play with these setting you might get it looking better if you wantuser added image...............dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 19 26-04-2013 , 12:46 PM
Lifetime Member

Looks like Rinzler from TRON.

Hey ND, I actually forgot about Rinzler completely. Looking at him again, that gave me some ideas for my character body. Might add some more interesting details later. Thanks for reminding me of Rinzler from TRON.

# 20 26-04-2013 , 02:09 PM
Lifetime Member
Okay guys! Here's my first attempt in creating the Crystals.

I used 2 areas lights and created an image based lighting with hdri.
Turned on GI and FG.
For the two area lights I use Shadow Rays 20 and Ray Depth Limit of 5.
Also for the material I used mia_material with glass preset and adjusted the values.

I'm still testing with different attributes. Thank you all so much for chimming in and the great directions. Really appreciated all of your feedbacks.

Will keep posting more images soon.

Attached Thumbnails
# 21 26-04-2013 , 02:57 PM
Lifetime Member
Okay...... I am so excited and happy with this one that it deserves a drink! user added image

This is precisely what I wanted and had visualized in my mind on how I wanted the crystal to look like. After digging around with different attributes settings.....DONE! Perfect Crystal as I imagined / wanted !

Again, thank you all!!!

Attached Thumbnails
# 22 26-04-2013 , 02:59 PM
SM Tea Boy
looks good, told you you'd get it in no time user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 23 26-04-2013 , 03:03 PM
Lifetime Member

looks good, told you you'd get it in no time user added image

Big thank you David!!! and Everyone here! Your sexy crystal definitely pushed me further! "That can be done!"

The idea I have is to have the character walk into a cave and see this giant crystal.....then the camera shows his helmet shield with the crystal reflection...then he approaches...touches the crystal.....and pUFF..... hahaha........ just a short I want to make to understand the pipeline....rendering passes and combining everything into AE, and adding some effects.... etc...

THANK YOU !!!

# 24 26-04-2013 , 03:11 PM
Lifetime Member
Sharing the .ma file , whoever wants to play with it. I just didn't add the HDRI image, but I think you can just add one of yours. user added image user added image

Attached Files
File Type: zip Crystal_v3-PERFECT-CRYSTAL.zip (18.1 KB, 362 views)
# 25 26-04-2013 , 06:09 PM
Lifetime Member
There is a problem..... after grouping the whole scene (two lights, plane and crystal), I then resize bigger the whole group proportionally and the caustic disappears as shows on the attached image. I tried to fiddle around on the Photons settings and Radius but without any success...user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 26 26-04-2013 , 06:24 PM
SM Tea Boy
quick fix just lower the exponent value under the area light node under caustics and gi take it down to 1 default is 2

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 27 27-04-2013 , 01:49 PM
Lifetime Member
Hi David,

Thank you! That did the trick.

Hi ND,

Went to Toy'R Us store and got the Tron black guard for reference user added image
And if you press the button on the side of his body, the orange circles actually light up! user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 28 29-04-2013 , 03:17 PM
Lifetime Member
okay, calling this last one done. Moving into building the cave now...

Attached Thumbnails
# 29 29-04-2013 , 03:24 PM
SM Tea Boy
cool don't forget to give us a look see when it's finished user added image

Dave

# 30 29-04-2013 , 03:35 PM
Lifetime Member
Will do David! Thank you for the awesome help. Will start a new thread after when I have something to show user added image