Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 17-05-2013 , 08:58 PM

Extruding letters

I'm in the process of extruding letters from 2d polygon surfaces. Sometimes it doesn't work properly and rather than be a proper extrusion along the z axis the edges end up all jacked up and the extrusion is lopsided. Is there a way to properly extrude only in the z axis?

# 2 17-05-2013 , 09:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
Have you tried changing the extrude manipulator from local to global? Click the little blue Q circle thing.

# 3 19-05-2013 , 08:24 AM

Have you tried changing the extrude manipulator from local to global? Click the little blue Q circle thing.

All it seems to do is create two 2d letters when I attempt to extrude.

# 4 19-05-2013 , 10:41 AM
Noober than noob

I'm in the process of extruding letters from 2d polygon surfaces. Sometimes it doesn't work properly and rather than be a proper extrusion along the z axis the edges end up all jacked up and the extrusion is lopsided. Is there a way to properly extrude only in the z axis?

Try extrude command (do not use the manipulators) and then press W to switch to move manipulator and pull it along the Z axis.

Also, if you are trying to extrude out of the text that has been created, combine objects. Then select the surface mode, select all surfaces. Extrude. Press R and scale it on the axis you need it extruded. That's how I make 3D text.
Then separate the objects / letters when you're done.

Last edited by SilverFeather; 19-05-2013 at 11:20 AM.