Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-09-2003 , 01:48 AM
Subscriber

September Challenge- Fredriksson - Normal

No chance in snowy siberia that I would finish this, but I couldn't resist. After ~2h.
~3400 triangles total, could probably be safely reduced a bit (cylinders with less segments)

Attached Thumbnails

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.
# 2 12-09-2003 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
Nice doors! I like the cog things. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

# 3 13-09-2003 , 08:11 PM
The Maya Mountain
Looking pretty nice so far. Thinking about the mechanics of the door. Right now, it appears as if the gears are kinda just stuck in there and not a part of a machine.

# 4 13-09-2003 , 08:42 PM
Subscriber
more MORE MORE you talented man!! Come on show us what you got!

Okay that aside, why does you're floor and walls have soo many polys??? I don't see the point, maybe it is coming but i take a BUNCH outta those cause they are flat anyway. You can do a suprising about with texturing later. I personally think you're cilinders are fine as far as segments go, except in those turret guns. Also the turret "ball" has a few faces too. I've highlighted areas where i think you could lose the most. My main concern is that this small section of you're map should have WAY less polys then it does. Think about it, this is using about an 14th you're total count.

Attached Thumbnails

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 13-09-2003 at 08:47 PM.
# 5 13-09-2003 , 09:05 PM
The Maya Mountain
it depends on the game, but some games use vertex lighting, and without that much geometry on the floors and walls, it wouldn't light properly.

# 6 13-09-2003 , 11:09 PM
Subscriber
oh my bad!

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 7 15-09-2003 , 09:51 PM
Subscriber
Been away all weekend but I managed to get a couple of hours of work on this tonight. Going to make all the major pieces before optimizing, leaving detail where it's necessary.

# 8 15-09-2003 , 09:53 PM
Subscriber
... forgot the pic.

Attached Thumbnails

# 9 15-09-2003 , 09:57 PM
Subscriber
mtmckinley: about the doors, I may just throw out the cogs, I thought they looked pretty cool but as you say they don't look part of the mechanism.

# 10 16-09-2003 , 01:02 AM
Subscriber
That's shaping nicely, I like the way the doors give the sense of scale.