Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 01-05-2014 , 08:08 PM
EduSciVis-er

make it walk across the landscape without having the feet go through the mesh?

The way you phrased this made me think you wanted to have some kind of automatic mesh detection and so I suggested Unity which is a game engine. But I'm guessing you just want to end up with a movie, so ignore that.

The workflow you would probably use is to bring the Vue landscape into Maya and animate the character walking across the landscape. You would have to animate it by hand ("bone by bone" as you said) and make sure that the position of the foot each time was not penetrating through the mesh (by eye). For your instructor to say movies are not made in maya is a bit misleading because they're not really made in after effects either. I get what he means, but the reality is a complex mixture of 3D renders from Maya, layers and effects in After effects, video footage edited in Premiere etc. I'm just picking examples of applications, there are many others that go into "making a movie".

# 17 01-05-2014 , 10:55 PM
Super Moderator
I don't know about the interoperability between Vue and Maya, I hear it's flaky and the Vue render times can be beastly. As Stwert said, you could get the terrain obj from Vue into Maya as reference when animating then export the animated character to Vue. Personally, I'd just get the terrain and texture from Vue into Maya and work there since it's a deeper and more flexible program.

I think what your instructor means is that the rendered Maya scenes get sent to compositing programs (Nuke, After Effects etc) as image sequences where they get assembled and enhanced further. So no, the movies aren't made right inside a 3D package but it produces some of the source material used down the line. And yeah the phrasing is a bit confusing haha.

- Genny
# 18 02-05-2014 , 07:43 PM
Subscriber

The way you phrased this made me think you wanted to have some kind of automatic mesh detection and so I suggested...

In truth, that's pretty much what I was hoping for. My last 3D App. was Animation Master. A:M is all splines, no polys, at all. You can animate a character, (e.g., make a walk cycle) then choose a spline in the terrain and constrain the character to that spline. If the terrain bumps up, the walker goes right along with it.

However; taking your comments together with Gen's, it would seem that I've been going at this bassackwards: bring Vue into MAYA rather than the other way 'round. I've seen references in older versions of Vue about exporting a mesh. Never tried it. I guess I'll just have to jump in at the deep end of the pool and give it a shot. 'Hope the texturing will come along with. If it does, then I'm in good shape.

As to my comment that "movies are not made in MAYA, but in Post" , I agree with both you and Gen. I was referencing what my instructor said, from memory, and trying to keep it brief. But, essentially, Jane told us that a short, several seconds long, scene might require the raw MAYA material to be processed through several other programs, multiple passes made and the whole of it compiled.

Gen: Yes, the render times in Vue are beastly; always have been, and they make no apologies for it.