Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 61 09-04-2003 , 07:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
Legs and arms haven't really been textured yet. Just have a base rock/metal on them. user added image Patience, grasshoppah! lol

# 62 09-04-2003 , 11:18 PM
Subscriber
Hey Mike, you're a great guy and such an inspiration and teacher! Seeing you perform all this magic with effortless ease makes me think you took part in the crafting of Maya. And it's good to see that your genius is truely helpful to many in the forum. Keep it up, mate, and may you always walk the path of successuser added image

# 63 10-04-2003 , 12:26 AM
Subscriber
:O, wow.. really coming along... that guy could tear my golem in half user added image. Anyways, what i was going to say is i personally preferred the gold better, it goes in contrast to the color of his skin (rock). Anyways, keep it up man user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 64 10-04-2003 , 02:14 AM
The Maya Mountain
Kenmare - Thanks! I wish employers thought the same. user added image Otherwise, I might get a big ego from all the praise! lol

M - Well, general consensus of most people I've asked seems to go for the silver. Of course, in a real Warcraft type game (that is the idea for this guy) colors would change depending on the "team" color. user added image

https://www.mtmckinley.net/SimplyMaya/golem_texture9.jpg

I seperated the polys for the plates on his thighs. Some how didn't think to do it before.

# 65 10-04-2003 , 03:11 AM
The Maya Mountain

# 66 10-04-2003 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber

Legs and arms haven't really been textured yet. Just have a base rock/metal on them. Patience, grasshoppah! lol

lol mike sorry = )

Looking better by the post. Say, what are you using transparency maps for on this guy, i can't tell.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 10-04-2003 at 03:43 AM.
# 67 10-04-2003 , 04:04 AM
The Maya Mountain
I'm using them to cut the buckles into circles that are on his outer pecs, as well as cutting some misc. surface off the metal plating on his abdomen and shoulders. user added image Not a whole lot.

# 68 10-04-2003 , 05:20 AM
Subscriber
Mike, the whole thing looks awesome so far! Just one thing i think needs a bit of work is his legs, like the part you have textured... doesnt suit the rest of the body (the silver boarder thing)..... just what i think though, may be the view user added image.

After looking at it for a while, the silver boarder looks a bit too crisp... it needs more of that blackness to blend it into the blue. i definately could be wrong, the textures are insanely good mike.. just trying to point out the few things that MAY be wrong... seeing that theres not much else to comment on user added image, other than its superiority user added image.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com

Last edited by M; 10-04-2003 at 05:23 AM.
# 69 10-04-2003 , 06:12 AM
Mike, I seriously think you should start working on a portfolio. Maybe a short animation. Your improvements can be seen with every single model you work on, so I think it´s time for you to start working on something big.

Excellent model by the way.

# 70 10-04-2003 , 07:40 AM
The Maya Mountain
Thanks!

Link to my portfolio in sig. user added image

# 71 10-04-2003 , 11:36 AM
Subscriber
oh wow that looks fantastic mikeuser added image

How many poly's? Did u make it under 1000 as u planned?

I think the textures u have applied are spot on

I agree also with adldesigner...u could make a brilliant portfolio u have one hell of a lot of talent in modelling. Do u do alot of animation at all? Or is modelling u area of expertise?

# 72 10-04-2003 , 04:17 PM
Mike,

Looks amazing! You are really an inspiration. Keep up the great work. I can't help but think of Cylons when I see this guys face. If you animate him, be sure to add that little red light going back and forth! user added image Again, excellent work. You should make a similar suit for your caricature on your site, that'd be funny.

"It's supposed to be hard, if it was easy, everyone would do it."
# 73 11-04-2003 , 07:03 AM
Kevin
damn mike - as usual your work is tops!!!!

such great texturing also in the photoshop!

well done mate

# 74 11-04-2003 , 04:43 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by mtmckinley
Trying Silver. user added image
966 polys now.

Yes Alexg, its less then a thou! Just barely mike, you're treading on thin ice now man....j/k

Hey mike i knw the model is low poly, just wondering if the smoothed version is nice at all?

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2

Last edited by Vectorman; 11-04-2003 at 04:46 PM.
# 75 11-04-2003 , 05:53 PM
The Maya Mountain
alexgc - I know how to rig and animate. I don't do it too often, though. Mostly concentrating on modeling and texturing.

Snich - LOL, that's an idea. user added image

Kevin - Thanks!

Vectorman - No, smoothed makes it look weird, mostly because it's tris. This is more for a game model so it wouldn't be smoothed.

I took a break yesterday. user added image Small update:

https://www.mtmckinley.net/SimplyMaya..._texture10.jpg

adjusted the hips some.