Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-09-2012 , 02:19 AM

Individual faces change color based on position/orientation from camera?

I guess this is the right category to post this question:

How would one take a polygon with all quads (I'm using a whirlpool-shaped funnel), and make each individual face render with a procedural solid color, to be assigned based on each face's relative distance or orientation to the camera?

I hope that's clear enough. I don't have much knowledge with expressions, MEL, or anything involving syntax, but I have a feeling it can be done somehow.

The result of this would presumably be, with a hi-res mesh, a smooth gradation of colors that change when seen through a moving camera, kind of the same coloration that you would see from a normal map - but dynamic.

Anyone have an idea how to do this?

# 2 11-09-2012 , 04:24 AM
EduSciVis-er
Does it have to be on a face by face basis? You can do stuff like this with the facing angle node... can't remember if it's its own hypershade node or if it's something like a surface info node. Give those a google.

# 3 11-09-2012 , 06:52 AM
@stwert:

I took your advice and found a pretty good suggestion here: https://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/showth...based-on-angle

(quote from the site)
"I'll describe the flow of nodes to the final Material: SamplerInfo Node (FacingRatio attr) > Ramp (Vcoord) Ramp (outColour) > Blinn (Colour) or surface shader (outcolour) if you don't want light to be a part of the result."

It's actually pretty simple to set up a quickie material that does this, but I'll need to spend some time seeing how much control it'll give me. Thanks for the suggestion, stwert!

# 4 11-09-2012 , 12:10 PM
EduSciVis-er
SamplerInfo node... that's the one. Getting precise control is all about adding nodes to nodes to nodes. Experiment with connecting stuff in different ways after you've got a basic color change based on camera angle.

# 5 11-09-2012 , 04:05 PM
ramp shader and setting color input to facing angle works pretty well

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675