Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 17-03-2013 , 08:23 PM
Subscriber

Creature Model.

Hey everyone! This is my first post. I have a real passion for creature design but I had only modeled a few models before. So I downloaded the Modeling Quadrupeds for Production for some help and guidance. Decided it's time I posted to get some critique =]
It's obviously based off a Rhino. The idea I have is that he spits fire and debris out of his horn and after he does so he vents steam and debris out of the ducts on his head. I still have some work to do all around. More specific areas I need to work on are the horn, feet, and rear. I need to go in and smooth some geometry out. With the horn I was going to adjust it and see if I can make the shape a bit more interesting. I do have older versions of this model I can go back to and work from.
Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails
Attached Images
# 2 17-03-2013 , 09:28 PM
The thin red line
Looks good so far, thats the tutorial Jay did you want go far wrong with that............dave

# 3 17-03-2013 , 10:20 PM
SM Tea Boy
face looks a little flat width wise, but the mesh looks nice and clean good job so far keep us updated!

Dave user added image

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 4 18-03-2013 , 12:05 AM
Subscriber
Very good start but i am seeing one or two things to question.

1 why so many lines of geo through the center of the body. The sides and legs look evenly spaced out but then lots of un needed geo in the centre (from what i can see)

2 what up with the geo upper part of the upper leg - seems to be a few errors - front legs look spot on.

Hope the points help. Keep up good work

3 some more errors in geo that i spotted in first image - between horn and top of hump

# 5 18-03-2013 , 11:15 PM
Subscriber
Thanks guys. Any critique, no matter how picky, is greatly appreciated =]

tweetytunes - I don't know why I have so many lines. I didn't really think about it until you mentioned it but you're right, there's a bit much.

I was trying to add some extra muscle form to the back leg. I'm not sure how well it's working.

I'll post another picture of the head soon. So that everyone can get a better look at what's going on in the geo there.