Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 10-04-2013 , 08:47 PM
Super Moderator

What Mouse are You Using?

I'm in the market for a new mouse because as awesome as the Logitech G700 was initially, the battery life and the ensuing tracking problems are going to have the police show up at my door one of these days. I don't know if I got a dud or what but this thing eats through batteries like they're going out of style, even on power saving mode.

So my question is, what mouse has treated you the best? I'm looking for something with some extra buttons near the thumb rest and given the how we relentlessly use mice, I want to hear the good, the bad and the ugly and maybe I'll get turned onto some new stuff too. user added image

- Genny
# 2 10-04-2013 , 08:54 PM
Technical Director
Mouse? What is this heresy?

I use a tablet for everything, as it's much more ergonomic.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 10-04-2013 , 09:40 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
I just use a standard 3 button mouse from logitech...although it has been pissing me off as of late, it keeps double clicking, I have changed the batteries and cleaned it out, its got a mind of it's own.

Oh right, and my Bamboo

Last edited by Ozgalis; 10-04-2013 at 10:47 PM.
# 4 10-04-2013 , 10:12 PM
Mouse = Razer Naga (12 # buttons next to the thumb)
Tablet = Cintiq12WX
Laptop Tablet = Wireless Bamboo

# 5 11-04-2013 , 12:01 AM
EduSciVis-er
Logitech MX Revolution, best mouse ever made (out of the 3 or 4 that I've used). It's about 6-7 years old and still going strong. But they don't make it no more. Sad. I also use an intuos 4 medium, since that seems to be the trend in the thread, but not for maya. Just for zbrush and photoshop. Mouse for maya and illustrator, much more precise.

# 6 11-04-2013 , 12:12 AM
Super Moderator
@ ND
You know, when my tablet was brand spanking new I really gave that a shot, I wanted to so badly but I kept making horrible sloppy clicks. I couldn't get used to it or maybe I'm a clumsy oaf lol.

@Ozgalis
I tossed a pretty sweet mouse because of that, apparently its a real problem but it can be fixed. If only I knew.

@ Chavister
I'm looking really hard at a Naga. Those buttons look yummy, the less I have to use the keyboard the better.

@ Stwert
I know!! I had something very similar and that's why I'm eyeing the Logitech Performance Mouse MX. That and the Naga are pretty high on the list.

- Genny
# 7 11-04-2013 , 02:19 AM
Technical Director

@ ND
You know, when my tablet was brand spanking new I really gave that a shot, I wanted to so badly but I kept making horrible sloppy clicks. I couldn't get used to it or maybe I'm a clumsy oaf lol.

Yeah, it takes time to get used to it; but I was willing to do it as using a mouse caused my CTS to flare up.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 8 11-04-2013 , 02:49 PM
Acid44

# 9 11-04-2013 , 06:31 PM
Lifetime Member
I am using the Logitech Performance Mouse MX and before that the revolution and both are great, never had any problem with either.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 10 11-04-2013 , 10:19 PM
Super Moderator
@ ND
CTS yikes! It's a real buzzkill and I'm a little paranoid about it (that and my eyes) so I break for a couple minutes every 45 mins or so. I can work the pen in Maya to a point, it just that I refuse to give up my little thumb button bound scripts haha. Well that and I game a bit.

@ Acid
I remember pawing at that in the store and reading really mixed reviews, mainly about it stopping for 10+ seconds at a time plus it didn't sit right in my hand. If my thumb isn't sitting right I can't do it.

@Jsprogg
It feels great, had one similar and loved it but I'm just so hesitant about Logitech now, they used to be a brand where I could buy a product and throw away the receipt but the problems I'm having with the G700 and previous mouse are really off putting. I'm really on the fence about it, I just don't want to kick myself later ><.

- Genny
# 11 12-04-2013 , 02:33 AM
Acid44
If you get the RAT 7 it's completely modular/adjustable. I've never had mine stop, ever, but for about 10 months the scroll wheel didn't work, so I had to map the side wheel to scroll, which was a bit odd, but then I got used to it right about when the normal one decided to work again.

# 12 12-04-2013 , 02:40 AM
EduSciVis-er
When I moved a year or two ago, I ended up losing my wireless dongle for my mouse. I was pretty disappointed so I called Logitech. They sent me a new one free of charge. Big plus in my books.

# 13 12-04-2013 , 07:29 AM
Lifetime Member
Ok I have a Logitech M510...just the right size for my manly hands...couple of buttons...simple stuff. NOW here is a little tip user added image my Unifying USB died...cant get them here in Perth anymore or eBay. Went and bought another mouse (sacrificial) LOL then got onto a Youtube vid showing how to disassemble one and repair in less than 5 mins. SO if any of you good people need to know how to repair the USB (to a point)...call me...sigh

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 14 12-04-2013 , 09:44 AM
A4 Tech XL-760H at work, M100 OPTICAL 1.000dpi MOUSE at home. simplest... user added image I use tablet for maya and zbrush all the time but that ankle problem started to show up. I think its not a good idea to use tablet all the time but maya modeling gets so fast with tablet and it flows...

Boss said we have a collobrative feature film coming up and told us if we needed anything. Wondering if i can make him buy Connexion stuff user added image Really want to try this and see if it helps or not;

https://www.3dconnexion.com/buy/shop.html

# 15 12-04-2013 , 08:20 PM
Super Moderator
@ Bullet
It's such a bummer when you replace hardware then stumble on a way to fix it, fricken Youtube-_-. No one on Amazon can get it to you?

@ Goggles
You started getting ankles problems, what?!(I hope you mean wrist because you're scaring me a little lol)
Those 3D mice look interesting. The SpaceNavigator still needs a traditional mouse to complement it though(I was wondering how they handled the clicker function). user added image
-----

I'm leaning towards the Naga, I want to give that a whirl.

- Genny