Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 31 04-04-2014 , 10:54 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Tweety, all looking good mate.

I have one small issue...the specular needs work in my honest opinion

cheers
J

# 32 04-04-2014 , 04:01 PM
Subscriber

Tweety, all looking good mate.

I have one small issue...the specular needs work in my honest opinion

cheers
J

Cheers Jay, Now I dont know if your joking or not with this one Jay - But your not known for joking comments,
(if you aint plz look at other comments)

So I am going to ask - how and which parts. All the parts in the last image are not UV mapped (yet) apart from the seat cover bits. The shadder for the metal (Yellow) is one I got from a program called VMPP for Maya - I am going to cover the parts with dirt and oil as a multi-layered shader and not planing on making those parts that specular as its dirt.

I be honest - I just dont get specular at all and its doing my f&%$^(g head in. Looking at the ref I don`t see that much spec at all on the painted metal yet that all everyone is going on and on about.

# 33 04-04-2014 , 04:23 PM
Hey Tweety

No mate because Im just to the point, I wont gloss work if I think it needs work...simple

Spec basically derives as light reflectivity. I dont know what material you have here but its all looking very much like a lambert, totally flat. So maybe an MR material X or even a good old cheap and cheerful blinn will help heaps.

Look at the attached image...Ive added arrows to the areas that are basically reflecting the light, these are the lighter yellow parts, even the wing of the vehicle is reflecting the sunlight because you can see the white sheen cast from it, theres even a hint of reflectivity in it too. Check out the hydraulic arms, look at the reflection/specular hilight there. I would ignore the miniature of this as its clearly plastic and alot smaller in scale which will throw things out...

You can add specular color to any shader to help things pop in an image and also add a small amount of reflectivity perhaps...these two setting work in conjunction with each other so you just gotta get a balance. You did a good job on your Caine project and the renders were good, so just go along the same lines

Jay

Attached Thumbnails
# 34 05-04-2014 , 09:13 PM
Subscriber
Man thank you Jay The photo really helped. - Taking it all on board and this is where I am at now.

user added image

Did it with the balls to show the different shaders. I also included the shader settings.

1) Base yellow colour - Metal
2) Red Glass on top of loader with chrome ball on the inside
3) Cables shader
4) The pistons shader
5) The seat cover shader

Also did a quick render with the lights moving round the model to see how the light looks at different locations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLNN0...ature=youtu.be

Am I on the right track.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 05-04-2014 at 09:23 PM.
# 35 05-04-2014 , 09:17 PM
There she blows!!! now it looks like a bought one user added image

muuuuch better!!!!!! So you can see now how that 'pops' its not looking like its flat now, it has depth!!!

get that in a scene with all the dirt on with your environments lights and stuff she should look even better!!

Do you see how much better it looks too Tweety, just by adding that spec?

Jay

# 36 17-04-2014 , 04:41 PM
Subscriber
Restarting painting the details on foot

user added image

Last edited by tweetytunes; 17-04-2014 at 06:35 PM.
# 37 20-04-2014 , 09:49 AM
oh i like the progress from starting to this stage like the last polished render..helpfull thread for me as i am also using vray on my latest personal project....user added image

-dushyant