Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 14-11-2003 , 12:41 AM

Small, basic room.

This is pretty much my first semi-successful work in maya. There are many things missing yet, and I plan to add them (a chair, baseboards, minor texture details) but I decided I should get some input and criticism first.

The couch started wtih a polygon cube, which I extruded in to two arms and a backrest. It was then converted to sub-divs. I then made cushions out of a poly cube, converted to sub-divs, and covered them in cloth to give them a more, leathery look. I think they are the best part of the scene.

For the light I put a pointlight in the lamp, and added an ambient light to lighten up the shadows.

Please tell me what I can do to improve my room. user added image

(PS. The white part in the bottom right is where the other wall would go, just ignore that)

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 14-11-2003 , 09:07 PM
Subscriber
Looks ok, a bit sparse at the moment, but as you said more stuff will be added.

Some comments:

Add some sort of wall and floor texture.

I'd use Mentalray for these sort of images with GI and/or Final Gather, the light looks so much more realistic (with less effort).
Also soften those shadows for final render, area lights or something.

The sofa looks nice, a bit plastic highlight, but with some noise to that and a bit of bump it'd look good. The cushions are good, but could perhaps be slightly less noisy (especially since the rest of the sofa is very much straight lines). Lamp, side table and painting looks good. The bigger table looks like it has slightly too thick legs. The book (?) ontop can hardly be seen.

Keep it up. :thumbsup:

Björn 'santa' Fredriksson

<A href=https://www.bjornfredriksson.com>Site Online.</A>

Check out our 1on1on1 battle for the SandCrawlers.