Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 05-02-2003 , 10:03 PM
Pretty much what everybody has said has been really good. I agree totally, I have been doing 3d for about 3 yrs, and I have yet to do a short, not because I don' t want to, Just haven't had the patience yet. I decided to wait untill I could feal comfortable with the software before taking on such a feat. When I work on 3d stuff I feel like I am BiPolar. One moment I am really excited, but then the next, I realize that I did something wrong about 8 hrs ago, now I have to do it all over again, and then I want to throw my monitor on the:banghead floor. lol Good luck, and stick with it.
Brian:

Please check
My (old) website!
# 17 05-02-2003 , 10:33 PM
hehe... i see why you are so stressed! You made the deadline of that short for february 10th! and you expect to learn to animate 3d really good by than user added image Mabey you should take some time (a long time?) to learn the program pretty good, and feel confident, and then take your skills to short films. And dont forget to have fun in the learning process!!! Life is no fun if there are constant deadlines and your always in a hurry :p

# 18 05-02-2003 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber
well heres my few small words ... i am new to maya and i am giveing it two years ... and see then if i want to go on at all but help here s great , so
dpvtank hang in there m8

P4 3.2 ATI 9800xt 256. 1gb ram 19"lcd ..
# 19 05-02-2003 , 11:32 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
dude, you're 14... give it time!

Excactly! hehe...

It will happen soon enough young Padewan..... user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 20 07-02-2003 , 05:25 AM
bah...
the deadline for feb. 10 has been there for around a few months now..
for the last few months, i have been hunting and trying my best to learn it..all i have done is seen the first issue of the 3dbuzz maya videos..

but for now, the deadline doesnt matter...what matters is how would u recommend i should learn maya...the free tut's on the website are nice..but i know to get ahead, i will need to do more then that...i would really appreciate ur advice..
i want to invest my money (which i will beg for to my parents *cough*dad*cough) ....i do not want to learn if i would have to keep on spending more money for new stuff...for better stuff..

well....u understand it...so...anyways...i need something solid to learn all this from..

# 21 07-02-2003 , 05:40 AM
The Maya Mountain
I've only had 2 books my entire career so far, however, I did go to school as well. The books I have are "Learning Maya 3" and "Mastering Maya 3" both of which have updated counterparts now.

As for methods, I would concentrate on polygonal modeling first, as it is easy and quick. Learn the Polygon and Edit Polygon menus. Once you've got that down, go to texturing polygons.

That alone should keep you busy for a number of months. user added image

Good luck!

# 22 08-02-2003 , 04:39 AM
can someone briefly tell me the updates in maya 4.5? i wanna buy the book but do not know if there is anthing special about it or not..
mckinley, i will definately take a look at those books (the updated versions of course)

# 23 08-02-2003 , 07:37 AM
ok, first off, i didnt take time to read all of the replys to this thread, im lazy, what can i say.

I know when you get into the hardcore learning user added image can quickly become user added image so heres how I do it, (i learn in my own way)

You say you ned to do animation right? ok. Heres how i learned things.

play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play. play.

Just play around. Click buttons, read the error messages, undo and click other buttons. Change something on your object, click the button again, watch how it changes. Its a very wierd way of learning. I have found that it gets you off to a huge start, and slows you down at the end. (it all equals out in the end) But you'll actualy find you know faster ways of doing things when you do it this way.

Example: wanted to cut a square hole out of a cube.

Most People: Try doing a bolean difference, if that dosent work, delete object history, change other properties, ect.

My way: Click the button that turns on square into to, and gives you a hollow mouse, and use it to cut a square shape in the sides of it. Delete those faces, fill the hole. done.

btw: you sound like your either going to jump off a building, or throw your computer of one. Dont do that, unless of cource you have a mac, then I would do the second followed by the first. user added image

Armitrex Studios
Now open!!
# 24 08-02-2003 , 07:49 AM
Subscriber
Good advice Ultragames. Trail and Error is a good way to learn. If you have time, you can learn Maya easily. Just like Mike, I have only gone through two books. I have had Maya for about a year and have only gone through about 5 video tutorials. Dispite the lack of reading and watching, I have come to know Maya through pure usage like Ultragames was saying. Just play with it. Of course, that doesn't mean you shouldn't go out and buy books and whatnot. lol!

Another place for FREE information about EVERYTHING in Maya is the help files. Press F1 and begin reading.

# 25 09-02-2003 , 05:12 AM
yes..playing does help..but sometimes the terms used are a bit...dumb...i mean..what the heck is set driven key?
a newbie like me doesnt know that...well, i do now..but not before..

hmm...i do have instant maya and Using maya which came with maya ple...

but..in general, this program, i have found after some playing around is not something to play with..i have played with pretty much everything i know today and have learnt a lot bout it..but this has to be the hardest thing to play with...

after sometime, i feel like..what the heck? i just feel like i am moving my mouse around...i feel bored..but trial and error is a great way to learn though..

but..as for the book..anyone got any idea about maya x bible?
says on amazon its gonna come in jan 2k3 (isnt it feb 2k3)

# 26 09-02-2003 , 05:17 AM
The Maya Mountain
F1 help isn't as bad as it looks... user added image