Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 22-06-2011 , 11:16 AM

edge loop problem

When I try to insert an edge loop on this object it seems to be working fine, then it messes up over the last few faces. Inserting the loop from the problem side yields a different result altogether - as if those faces are separate from the rest of the object. the thing is, the problem side is a duplicate of the other half so I cant understand why it should be treated differently. I've also checked (as best as I know how) and there's no double vertices or edges...?

Last edited by se7enhedd; 06-04-2012 at 10:18 AM.
# 2 22-06-2011 , 11:30 AM
The thin red line
Try before you do the edge loop select vertices then select the whole area then press delete this will delete any single verts that might be stopping the edge loop...........dave

# 3 22-06-2011 , 11:34 AM
just tried that - no difference =\

# 4 22-06-2011 , 03:50 PM
The thin red line
Try running a mesh clean up look for poly with more then four sides or select verts then whole mesh then merge verts set at a low tolerance say 0.001...........dave

# 5 22-06-2011 , 05:21 PM
Subscriber
I would say on a similar line to Dave. Usually I find this kind of problem happens when there are a couple of verts somewhere that aren't merged. Try lassoo selecting around some verts to see if there arent any pairs that havnt been merged or stick on display>border edges to see if you can spot a problem that way.

Alternatively, look around for 3 and 5+ sided faces, and see if you cant trace any issues back to these.

or you could just use the split poly tool and manually place in your loops??

# 6 22-06-2011 , 07:44 PM
Do a mesh cleanup as dave suggested also look for laminar faces. Problems with interior faces and laminar components can sometimes become obvious with you go to a smooth view by pressing the 3 key. In the worst case rebuild the geometry in the offending area.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 7 11-07-2011 , 01:47 PM

Tiger uvmap

where can i get animal like tiger uvmapor unwrap reference how can i past jpeg file on it

Last edited by hn_vns1; 11-07-2011 at 02:01 PM.
# 8 11-07-2011 , 02:34 PM
hiya -- thanks for the advice - -i've only just seen these extra posts; I wasn't notified by email for some reason. I need to start looking into these trouble shooting procedures for lamina faces etc.

thanks