Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 23-01-2013 , 04:48 AM

Normal baking problems with outcome

Hey guys, as you can see from my photo, i have a problem with baking normals. i sculpted a high poly mesh in zbrush, imported it as an object into maya. i then retopped it, and went to bake normals. they show, but so do the faces of the pollygons of my low-poly mesh (see attached).

What am i doing wrong? UV's look to be good & clean, theyre also attached. There are no un-sewn edges that i can see in the UV Map (is there a way to highlight/check/show unsewn edges?). But you can clearly see them (or the poly faces) being brought in the normal-bake process user added image

Any suggestions?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

# 2 23-01-2013 , 10:15 AM
The thin red line
See pic for UV borders. You can sellect the UVs in that area and merge them................dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 23-01-2013 , 04:48 PM
will give this a try tonight when i get home from work. . . thanks for the quick reply!!

# 4 24-01-2013 , 12:35 AM
Maya 2013 version: No merge on the quick icons toolbar, but it's in the poly's menu. See this screenshot for my UV unwraps, i have seams (as you can see form the bolded white line) but thats not the issue. . . each UV/polygon is reflecting somehow and the normal is being picked up from it.

Here's my process i do:
create a base mesh in maya, sculpt out my detail in zbrush, export back to maya & retopology the high-poly mesh down to acceptable structure.

I then use transfermaps>normals to use the newly created low poly mesh as the target, the high poly sculpt as the source, 1024 maps with tangent mapspace & transferred in world space (see 2nd link).

i dunno wth i'm doing wrong here user added image I'm gonna ressculpt some stuff and use zbrush for all this instead of transferring back/forth between the 2, though i dont see why it's f'd up. Poly faces shouldnt cast out on a normals bake. . . . not that i'm aware of (at least the targetted mesh)

UV's:

TransferMaps settings:

# 5 24-01-2013 , 08:20 AM
The thin red line
You should be creating your normals in zbush and using goz (I think thats what its called). The work flow should be some thing like this

1:Create mesh in maya (check normal)
2:Create UVs in maya (better then using zbrush UV master)
3:Export to zbrush
4:Subdivide as meny times as you need in z and model (do not delete subdivion history)
5.Drop down to subd 1 then create normal or misplacement map
6:Goz back to maya
...................dave

# 6 24-01-2013 , 06:32 PM
Dave,

ultimately thats what i was doing, however i was using UVMaster plugin in zbrush to snap out my UV's (it's VERY fast the way UVing should be. . . maya is way to combersome/slow)

i got things figured out. . . i have no idea what was wrong in the first place, but starting over & doing 90% of my work in zbrush ultimately fixed things!

# 7 25-01-2013 , 08:44 AM
Lifetime Member
I have always had trouble with Maya bake normals. You are better off using Xnormals mate.

Cheers Ant

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes