Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 28-11-2003 , 12:01 AM

Poly Problem

Ahoy guys,

I am modelling an accumulator using poly method but when applied boolean operation, and bevel to the edges I ended up with darksided faces... Later on I want to export them in Macromedia Director but the edges seem quite jagged. Yet, the exported geometry isnt my problem I ask you for your help to give me directions how to settle the darkened poly faces without having to harden the edges

Here i've provided a shot ot the geometry to help you visualize my concern
Thanks in advance,

Best regards

user added image

Gonna bring enough noise to wake the deaad
# 2 28-11-2003 , 01:36 AM
The Maya Mountain
I believe that's mostly to do with the normal's hardening info. Edit Polys > Normals > Soften/Harden Edges.

# 3 28-11-2003 , 10:01 AM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
I believe that's mostly to do with the normal's hardening info. Edit Polys > Normals > Soften/Harden Edges.

Hi mtmackinley,

Isnt there other way to avoid the problem without having to harden the edges.. it creates a very sharp transition between the face and the egde and doesnt look quite realistic

Thanks,

Best wishes

# 4 28-11-2003 , 10:23 AM
Subscriber
Not sure but I thought he ment to soften them. btw.. have you rendered it and had the same dark stuff ?

# 5 28-11-2003 , 11:37 AM

Originally posted by Pony
Not sure but I thought he ment to soften them. btw.. have you rendered it and had the same dark stuff ?

Yes, the problem do persist when software rendered. But as I said I need to export it to Director so it will be interactively hardware rendered. Hardening the edges fixes up the dark faces but creates very sharp transition between face and edge. Just a white line with no specularity. Its kinda ugly
I guess I should try Max... Does Max cause the same problem?

I export it then to Director with Best Quality settings and it still shows jagged edges. Is it repairable by some kind of manual anti-aliasing option?

Thanks

# 6 28-11-2003 , 12:44 PM
Subscriber
I don't know.. don't use max..
maybe you could try to avrige or conform your normals.. it might also help find the problem if we seen a wire.. becouse if it shows up in the render it probably is with how the geo is formed.

# 7 28-11-2003 , 05:10 PM
The Maya Mountain
Max also has an equivalent soften/harden edges option. Either way, you'll have to do the same thing. Check the soften/harden options to adjust the angle to get a result you like.

Once you've done it once, the Soften/Harden history item appears in your channel box. You can select it and middle mouse click and drag in your scene to interactively scroll through the angles of hardness until you get close to what you want.

You can then go back and soften/harden individual edges as you want. This is the same in every program. They just do it differently.